A typical computer system includes:
- Windows 7 Professional (some of the oldest ones have Linux Mint)
- 2.8 GHz+ CPU
- 2 GB+ RAM
- Network card (High-speed Internet ready with an Ethernet cord)
- CD ROM drive
- 17 inch CRT monitor (a flat LCD screen monitor is an extra $30 or $50, depending on size)
- Power cords, monitor cord, etc.
Additional accessories can be purchased at some locations (prices and availability may vary):
- Web camera
- USB flash drive
- Wireless mouse
When you make a voluntary donation you will receive:
- 0-$29 = older desktop computer (GOOD) - suitable for basic use, like solitaire and light job searching; Linux Mint or Ubuntu, 1 GB of RAM, 60 GB+ hard drive
- $30-$49 = mid-level desktop computer (BETTER) - Windows 7, suitable for most home uses, 2 GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive
- $50 = newest desktop computer (BEST) – Windows 7 or Windows 8, suitable for most home uses including school work, internet, videos and recreation; 3-4 GB RAM, 160 GB+ hard drive
- The St Paul office has additional pricing for laptop computers. Visit the Receiving a Computer in St Paul page to learn more.
- Note that a flat screen monitor costs an extra $30 or $50. CRT monitors are free with your desktop.
All pricing is subject to availability.
PCs for People warranties equipment for 90 days (hardware) and will replace it if it's not functional. However, other issues due to user error (virus, spyware, and other software related issues) are repaired for a small fee. PCs for People will provide documentation to help users learn how to protect their computers. These documents should be read and precautions taken so that repairs are avoided. After the 90 day warranty we offer a discounted repair program to ensure participants always have a working computer. As part of the program all necessary repairs will be completed for $25 for as long as the original recipient owns the PC. There is a two computer limit per address per year.
PCs for People has locations in multiple cities and each office distributes computers differently and has different open hours. Select the city from the list below to learn how to receive a computer.